Monday, February 1, 2010

Lace knitting part 2, or, "The Great Race before the BIG mistake"

Greetings from Tow (pronounced like "cos," don't ask me why", Texas, where we received 5: of rain, and thunder and lightning of Biblical proportions two days ago. Now we are experiencing our arctic blast, as forecasted. What has been keeping me warm, indoors and out, is the clapotis that I knit with Artyarns, Bamboo silk. You can find the pattern on Knitty.com. I like knitting them so much that this is my third one. It is versatile as a shawl or a thick scarf, which, with that beautiful yarn, never scratches. When you get your make-up from the mortician because your skin is so fair, scratchiness from yarn can be a problem. I find that my skin is very receptive to silk and bamboo, and with, of course, Malabrigo. I highly recommend that you treat yourself to this Art Yarns Bamboo silk, or the Malabrigo DK silk. We have so many beautiful colors available.

The lace scarf that I am challenging myself to knit, appropriately named "Strangled Vines," is coming along, with several mini-rip-outs. Now, I accept ripping out as an integral part of knitting. I fell very self-righteous while I'm ripping, thinking how patient I am and how much ripping is going to make me grow, as a knitter, and just an overall better person; however, ripping out yarn-overs vs. ripping out stockinette stitch are birds of a different feather. If you have any tips on ripping out a pattern with yarn-overs, please share them with the group. I admit I have Elizabeth Zimmerman's book, "Knitting Without Tears," but haven't had the time to read it. I like instantaneous feedback from those in the know.

Darrel is knitting the Amanda Hat (found on Ravelry for free). He told me on the phone this morning that all of his "beautiful projects" are already knitted, including his beaded lace scarf. He is using double strands this time on the had with alpaca and merino worsted weight. No doubt it will be a howling success. It is a very cute hat. I knitted one myself, which my 18 year old granddaughter slipped out of the house when I wasn't looking. We will post the Amanda hat when Darrell finishes it. Despite my many years of knitting, I still like them viewed at 65 mph from a motorcycle.

At this point, in the frigid temperatures of winter, we should all be thinking about knitting projects for spring and summer. We would like all of our readers and customers to let us know which, besides Malabrigo, are the yarns you love working with the most. Especially for spring and summer, as they are fast (but not fast enough) approaching. We love making our customers (friends all of them) happy by carrying what is most desired. We would especially like to know what projects you knit during the summer. We know that any truly addicted knitter doesn't let seasons get in the way of plowing forward with new projects. Please let us know, and thanks for being the best customers on the web. Cynthia, the Queen Ewe.

No comments:

Post a Comment